Peanut Butter Hamantashen
Fast and Festive Meals for the Jewish Holidays by: Marlene Sorosky
Peanut Butter Filling:
- 4 tbl butter or margarine,
at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate
melted and cooled slightly
- 11/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Scant 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 3 bl milk or (I use non dairy creamer)
- Strawberry jam for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray two cookie sheets
mixing bowl with electric mixer, cream butter and sugar on
medium high speed until very light and fluffy, about 2
minutes. Mix in egg and vanilla until well blended. Mix in
melted chocolate.Add flour, baking soda and salt and mix on
low speed until incorporated. Mix on medium speed for 1
minute. Shape into a flat disk and wrap in plastic wrap.
Refrigerate until cold enough to roll. In a medium bowl stir
peanut butter and jam together Stir in milk.
- Divide dough in half; cover 1 portion until ready to use.
Roll half between 2 sheets of wax paper into 1-1 inch circle
about 1/8 - inch thick. Using 3 inch cutter, cut out circles
and spoon 1 3/4 tsp into center and form triangle.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are firm. Cool two
minutes and top each cookie with dollop of jam and return to
oven for 1 minute and then cool two minutes and remove from
pan. These can be frozen.